(this recipe makes one batch, probably for 3 to 4 as a pasta sauce, make loads and freeze it in portion sizes for a quick lunch/supper fix)
- 1 onion, diced
- *1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g fresh tomatoes (can use green tomatoes)
- If using red tomatoes, you can skin and deseed them or not
- ½ tbs olive oil
- Salt pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano (optional)
*if you only have whole plum tomatoes, you can chop them up in the saucepan with a wooden spoon
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until hot.
- Place the onions in the pan, they should sizzle, but not burn.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper and the oregano .
- Stir, then cover or not. Cook for 15 – 60 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
(The longer you cook this for the better the flavour).
This sauce is great with spaghetti or any pasta shape, with gnocci, just add grated cheese
You can add other ingredients to this mixture. Try chopped anchovies, a bit of red pepper and chilli, chopped or sliced olives, capers, diced ham/chorizo/salami/ feta cheese, some mushrooms, a tin of tuna , replace oregano with fresh basil (add this at the end). You can also use this sauce to bake a chicken breast in, a piece of fish or a lamb steak…… Enjoy experimenting!