(Great to impress your mates with – so much nicer than salsa out of a jar. It keeps for about 3 days in the fridge.)
- 4 tomatoes or 16 cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- ½ red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chilli
- About 1 ts p white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or juice of lemon or lime
- 1 to 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional (chopped basil leaves/spring onions/green pepper/ coriander / pinch sugar/chopped olives.
- If you are using big tomatoes, halve them and take out the seeds (this is optional, if you leave them in it will be more watery) and chop them into small bits. If using cherry tomatoes, just cut them in ¼’s
- Dice the onion and pepper into small cubes.
- Crush or finely dice the garlic.
- Finely slice the chilli. (be careful what you touch after slicing the chilli).
- Mix all the chopped ingredients and vinegar, oil and seasoning.
- Leave for an hour (if you can) at room temperature. Taste and adjust seasoning, vinegar etc if needed.
- Chill to keep. Should keep for 3 days in fridge.