(enough for 4 as a main course, will keep chilled for 3 days , make sure you reheat very thoroughly, it helps to add a bit more stock or water)
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock (made up from a stock cube)
- 150ml white wine or dry cider or extra stock
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 400g mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 350g risotto rice or pudding rice
- 2 oz butter or 2 tbs sunflower oil
- Salt, pepper, grated nutmeg
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Zest of ½ lemon (optional)
- ½ tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 50g grated Parmesan of pecorino or manchego
- 1 tbs chopped parsley(optional)
- Warm the stock in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Heat the butter / oil in a saucepan until hot.
- Place the onions in the pan, they should sizzle, but not burn.
- Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, cook for 2 – 3 minutes
- Add the rice, and cook stir. It should crackle a bit.
- Add the wine, or 150ml of stock and stir until absorbed.
- Add the seasoning and thyme if using and add the stock by the ladel full. Stir the risotto and as stock is absorbed add more stock.
- Once all the stock has been absorbed the mixture should be creamy and moist, the rice taste cooked – add more wine/stock if required.
- Once cooked, remove from heat, add parsley, lemon zest and cheese.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- You can serve with extra cheese on the side if you like.
This is great with just a green salad.
You can add pancetta or smoked streaky bacon to this – add at the mushroom stage.It is also delicious with peas and or broad beans, chopped fresh tomatoes, smoked mackerel etc etc…. Add these towards the end of cooking.
If you don’t have any of the above cheeses, strong cheddar will be fine.