Bread and butter pudding
(Enough for 4, great way to use up stale bread and croissants. Only reheat this once!)
Ovenproof dish in which all bread will fit comfortably.
Medium oven – 170 – 180 C or gas 4
- 6 slices of bread or 4 croissants
- Enough butter to butter each slice of bread
- Enough jam to cover each slice of bread
- Optional – 1 handful of sultanas or raisons / good amount of grated chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 450ml milk (or combination of milk and cream)
- 1 tbs white sugar
- Grated numeg (optional, but transforms the taste!)
- Generously butter and jam your slices of bread.
- Cut the bread into halves or quarters (triangles.
- Layer the dish with the triangles of bread and sprinkle the sultanas or chocolate between the layers (if using chocolate, it is best for most of this to be on top of the middle layer.
- Beat the eggs together and add the milk, sugar and nutmeg.
- Pour this mixture over the bread.
- If you have time, leave this for around 1 hour for the bread to absorb the milk.
- Place in a preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes until slightly wobbly (but no uncooked egg mixture when you gently press it) and golden on top.
Great just like that or with custard, ice-cream, greek yoghurt, crème fraiche or cream.