Bacon and Mushroom Tortilla
(enough for 4 as a main course, will keep chilled for 3 days)
1 non stick pan, 30cm diameter (if smaller, it will take longer to cook)
- 275g diced parboiled potatoes (or left over boiled potato)
- 50g butter (or 2tbs sunflower oil)
- 6 large eggs
- Milk and or double cream (make volume of eggs up to 450ml with milk)
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 150 – 250g mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 50 – 100g bacon pieces, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to a medium high temperature.
- Melt half the butter/oil and gently fry the bacon for a couple of minutes, add the mushrooms and cook until they have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Place the pan on top of the stove, gently melt the remaining butter/oil.
- Add the potatoes and gently cook for 3 minutes – do not brown.
- Sprinkle the bacon and mushrooms over the potatoes.
- Gently beat the eggs, milk/cream and seasoning together and pour over mixture in pan.
- Cook gently on top of stove for 5 minutes, then place in oven for a further 20 minutes until egg mixture has set and top is golden.
- Rest for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting.
This is delicious served warm or cold. Accompany with some salad or vegetables and crusty bread.
You can substitute the toppings for many different things (spinach, goats cheese or feta; butternut squash and ricotta; mushroom and stilton; smoked haddock and cheddar; sausage, bacon and tomato; chorizo and tomato; etc etc)