There are many different shortbread recipes. They vary mostly in texture and flavour.
The texture depends on the combination of dry ingredients used.
The flavour depends on the butter you use and any added ingredients (such as dried fruits and nuts).
160g caster sugar
280g butter (softened)
350g plain flour
60g ground rice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 drops almond essence
approx tin size required – 32cm by 22cm
- Cream the butter and sugar together, along with the vanilla and almond essence, until light and creamy.
- Sift half the flour into the mixture and add the ground rice. Mix well together with a wooden spoon.
- Sift in the remainder of the flour and mix well together. The mixture will be stiff, so ensure all the flour is well incorporated.
- Either press the mixture into a greased (with butter) tin or place onto a floured surface and press or gently roll to thickness and cut out shapes.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until lightly coloured on top.
- Leave to cool and then cut into desired size and number (
- Instead of ground rice add cornflour. This will change the texture from slightly crunchy to smoother (slightly cloying)
- Add ground almonds or hazelnuts instead of ground rice. you can also add some grated orange zest instead of the vanilla and almond essence.
- Add chopped hazelnuts and chopped dark chocolate bits to the mixture at the end of stage 3, mix in gently.
- How about pistachio nuts and ground cardamom (instead of vanilla and almond essence) – add ground cardamom witht he sugar and pistachio at end of stage 3.
- Add some chopped crystallised ginger or dried apricot or fig to the mixture at the end of stage 3 – combine well.