Sticky ginger pudding
A great pudding for weekday suppers or dinners with friends. It definitely falls into the comfort food category…..
This recipe makes enough for 6
You need a dish – I use an oval dish around 24cm in diameter.
100g granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 pieces preserved ginger, finely diced (optional)
100g caster sugar
150g soft brown sugar
125 g self raising flour
125g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 heaped tsp ground ginger
2tbs apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 170/180C – 350F – gas 4.
- Start by making the syrup by gently warming all the syrup ingredients together until sugar dissolved and butter melted.
- Pour into dish.
- Cream together the sugars and butter.
- Add the egg, whisk together.
- Add the apricot jam, combine.
- Fold in all the dry ingredients and then mix in the milk gently.
- Pour the batter onto the syrup – don’t worry if the syrup comes up the sides.
- Place into oven for 30 – 40 minutes until springy to the touch on top. (If it starts to colour too much, gently place some foil on top).
Eat straight away or allow to cool and refrigerate until needed (keeps in fridge for 5 days and freezes well too).
Delicious with ice cream or double Jersey cream
- Add poached pears to the syrup.
- Substitute cinnamon with ginger – you could add poached apple too.