Looking for a fantastic tasting chicken which has been reared with high welfare?
Fresh, truly free range chickens available to order fresh every fortnight (weekly from the freezer)
The chickens vary in weight, but you can generally choose from:
- 1.5kg – 1.7kg
- 1.8kg – 2.1kg
The cost per kilo is £6.30
I order these chickens fresh every fortnight.
If you would like a fresh chicken I need to know by Monday at 10.00am if possible (I do order extra though so later is usually fine). This enables me to call Belinda at Kennel Farm, Sutton Hoo. The chickens will be collected from her farm at around midday on the Monday and delivered fresh to me on the Wednesday, ready for you to collect from Cornucopia Cooks, 1 High Street, Eynsham, on the Thursday or Friday.
I generally have a small stock in my freezer, so if you miss the fresh delivery week and can’t manage without one please get in touch (they take 12 hours to defrost well).
A few interesting facts:
- To be free range, the EU insists that 10 000 chickens have at least 1 hectare of outside space.
- At Kennel Farm around 213 of Sutton Hoo chickens have at least 1 hectare of space.
- Free range chickens do not have to be fed outside and their feed has to have only a 70% cereal content.
- At Kennel Farm, Sutton Hoo chickens are fed only outside, only on wheat, encouraging them to get more exercise and additional nutrients from foraging.
- Free range chickens can be slaughtered from 56 days of age.
- At Kennel Farm, Sutton Hoo chickens are slaughtered at a minimum of 84 days
- Free range chickens only have to have access to the outside for 50% of their life.
- At Kennel Farm chickens have 24 hour access to the outside (from 14 days).
Just a reminder of the different marketing terms used to define free range for chickens:
Must comply with basic criterea providing chickens with access to outside for at least half of their lives
Traditional free range:
Requires more extensive open-air access, a lower stocking density and a greater minimum slaughter age.
Free range – total freedom:
Requirements as for traditional free-range, but chickens must have unrestricted day time access t the outside.
The chicken from Kennel Farm, Sutton Hoo is Free range – total freedom!