This recipe is one of my mother’s. As a child I always remember a few of them in a tin – not for us though, for surprise guests!
225g dates, finely chopped
200g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6.
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the dates, sugar and baking powder – mix together.
- Beat the egg and fold in with a wooden spoon.
- On a baking try greased or lined with baking parchment or silicone spoon the mixture into rough dollops – the recipe makes around 8 large to 16 small cookies. Leave a bit of room for them to spread.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden (around 10 – 15 minutes, depending on size).
- Allow to cool slightly and then place on a cooling rack.
These cookies keep for about 5 days – they do freeze well.