Date and orange coleslaw
This recipe has been one of my favourites since I first came to Oxford in 1982. I was working at the Museum of Modern Art’s cafe and there was great Australian cook, Carol in charge. This recipe is hers….
Enough for at least 8 people
300g white cabbage
150g red cabbage
8 spring onions
2 sticks celery
4 tbs orange juice
12 dried dates
2 tbs parsley
400ml thick Greek yoghurt
Grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the dates into 4 – 6 pieces each. Place in a small bowl and cover with the orange juice – the longer you can leave this the better, even overnight. 2 hours is a minimum.
- Cut the white and red cabbage into thin slices (shred).
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Chop the celery reasonably finely.
- Thinly slice the spring onions.
- Combine the cabbages, carrots, celery, spring onions and parsley. Grate some nutmeg and add a bit of seasoning.
- Add the marinated dates and mix well (I use my hands).
- Add the yoghurt and mix well – if it feels too thick you can add a bit of water.
You can eat this immediately – it will keep in the fridge for 4 days.