Plenty for 4 to 8 people depending on what other salads etc. you are serving.
75g bulgar wheat
Mint (up to 25g)
Parsley (up to 150g)
3 tbs lemon juice
100ml good olive oil
1 – 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Place the bulgar wheat in a bowl.
- Sprinkle a little salt over the bulgar, add the lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.
- Boil some water and pour over the mixture, allow the water to come 2cm above the mixture. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside for 15 – 30 minutes.
- While the bulgar is absorbing the liquids, finely dice the cucumber and tomatoes (keeping the juice from the tomaoes). Chop the herbs too.
- Check if all the liquid has been absorbed in the bulgar bowl. If it has, stir gently and taste. If it is still a bit crunchy add more lemon juice or water (or olive oil depending on your taste). Add more salt too if required. Allow time for any extra liquid to be absorbed.
- Once you are happy with the texture of the bulgar add the tomatoes, cucumber and herbs. Mix in gently.
- Allow flavours to mingle for a couple of hours before eating.
Variations: add chopped spring onion, shallot or cos lettuce, omit cucumber and or tomato, add more chopped herbs
This salad will keep up to 4 days in the fridge. It tastes best eaten at room temperature.