recipe inspired from a recipe in The Encyclopaedia of Food and Cookery, introduced by Prue Leith
Meat Loaf with Tahini
serves 4 – 6
750g minced lamb or beef
2 onions finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
For the topping
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp white vinigar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Mix all the ingredients for the loaf together in a bowl.
- Grease a loaf tin (21cm by 11cm) with butter, press mixture into tin.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes or until browned on top.
- Combine all the topping ingredients, apart from the sesame seeds.
- Spread half the topping on the loaf, return to oven, lowering temperature to 170C / 350F / Gas 4, and bake for a further hour. Half way through baking add the remainder of the topping and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving in slices
Delicious with swiss chard or creamed spinach and baked potatoes