I have always had a great mistrust in the contents of foods with a cheap price, after all, raising an animal humanely and healthily can not be a cheap option.
So are we now so surprised to find an ingredient we don’t all feel comfortable eating in our mass produced foods?
When consumers (both commercial, ie supermarkets and large catering outfits / and individuals) demand to pay so little, producers are pushed to find ways to meet the market demand. Are we all to blame?
Whatever you feel about eating horse, we should expect to know what is in the food we are eating. Since we have food labelling it should be transparent.
Anyway, here a few articles you may find interesting:
- You may not want to read all of this one, but just scroll to the bottom and look at the Findus ads…
- Will Hutton’s take ………
- A lot of what the supermarkets are saying.
- Suddenly we don’t want to opt out of EU food labelling directives!
- What the chief medical officer has to say on anti-inflammatory drugs in horse meat.
- Who is blaming who? Iceland is blaming local authority caterers.