The sun is shining, air temperature in the 20’s, it would be a travesty to miss the opportunity of fine food, on a rug, in a field. The picnic suggestion below requires a bit of work, but given that any picnic or alfresco opportunity would be an occasion to celebrate, I think it is worth the effort: (Coincidently this entire menu happens to be wheat and gluten free!)
- Tortilla (try the spinach, ricotta (or goats cheese) with pine-nuts (or hazel nuts) recipe).
- Smoked mackerel with an olive,caper and dill salsa (I love smoked mackerel with this salsa, but rare roast beef is delicious with it too)
- Quinoa salad (Have you tried quinoa yet? It is delicious if prepared and mixed with the right ingredients. Try this recipe and be prepared to be wowed! )
- Courgette and halloumi salad (This salad is yummy and apart from the halloumi if you grow your own veg, most of the ingredients can be plucked from your plants – hopeful as ever!)
- Rosewater meringues with raspberries and whipped cream (Leave the pistachios out of this recipe. You can always “Eton mess” the ingredients! – If you fancy being a bit experimental, try adding a few elderflower florets to the meringue mixture prior to cooking, leave out the rosewater. If you are a gooseberry fan, take some stewed gooseberries instead of raspberries.)