Once you have the knack, making perfect couscous every time is a breeze!
Enough for 4 people
250g couscous *(instant)
230ml boiling water or chicken/vegetable stock
(if using a stock cube with added salt, do not add any more salt)
2 dessert spoons olive oil or melted butter
1 dessert spoon lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
- Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt if adding.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the couscous, it should just be covered.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel, lid or foil.
- Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, uncover the couscous and gently, but firmly fork the mixture, starting on the top to fluff up.
- Serve immediately, or set aside and reheat in an oven (keep very well covered), or microwave.
The couscous will keep for at least 3 days in the fridge and freezes reasonably well.
There are many variations you can make, just a few suggestions:
Add before boiling liquid –
- Orange juice (instead of, or as well as, lemon juice)
- Lemon, orange or lime zest
- Chopped fresh parsley, coriander, thyme, rosemary
- Currants, sultanas
- Sun-dried tomato slithers
Add after fluffing –
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pine nuts
- Olives whole or sliced
- Chopped basil
- Roasted vegetables
- Small chunks of spicy sausage
*most couscous we buy in supermarkets and speciality stores is instant. It is not always clear on the packaging. If you are using couscous which is not instant, it will need to be steamed.