200g onion, finely diced
500ml malt vinegar
1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
300g apples, weight after coring and peeling, chop
1 tsp mustard seed
5cm piece grated fresh ginger
good pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
300g soft brown sugar
- Place the diced onions in a saucepan and add 100ml vinegar. Simmer gently until soft. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Add the tomatoes and apples and cook gently until soft, stir regularly.
- Add all the other ingredients, bring to the boil and cook until thick, remember to stir occasionally.
- Taste (be careful as very hot) and adjust seasoning if necessary. Bear in mind the chutney will mature, the spice flavour will intensify a bit, and the vinegar will mellow.
- Pour into sterilised bottles and seal immediatly.
- Store for 3 months (if you can!) before using.