- 2 litres of *tomato pulp, using ripe tomatoes
- 250 ml cider vinegar
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 25 g soft brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 dessert spoon mustard powder (make into a paste with some of the vinegar)
*tomato pulp: warm tomatoes gently in a saucepan with lid on until softened enough so you can pass through sieve to remove skins and pips. You my need to add a tiny bit of water to the pan if the tomatoes start catching.
- Place all ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours until the mixture thickens.
- Place in jars which have been sterilised.
The ketchup should keep for 3 months in the larder and longer in the fridge. To prolong the life you can process by placing bottles in a water bath and bringing to a simmer for 10 minutes.