The info below applies to jams, preserves, jellies, cheeses and butters.
- Make sure jars are clean and not blemished in any way.
- It is best to sterilise them by placing on a baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes on a very low heat.
- *Once your jam / jelly etc is ready to pour into the jar, fill the jar to around 5mm from the top.
- Place a waxed circle on top immediately.
- Place transparent cover on jar immediately or once jam has completely cooled. Do not put cover on when jam is cooling down.
- Store in a cool dark place.
* Once the jam has reached setting point decide whether to bottle immediately or wait for it to cool and stiffen slightly before bottling.
The general rule is: if whole fruit wait until mixture stiffens (this helps ensure the fruit does not rise to the top of the jar), if no whole fruit place in jar immedietly.