This is a great way to preserve plums which are a bit too tart to eat or with stones too tricky to remove when cooking.
Plum cheese is delicious spread on toast, served with cheese (like the Spanish Membrillo), as an accompaniment with roast pork, or a topping for a baked cheese cake .
For each kilo of sugar you used you will make about 1 1/2 kilos of cheese.
- Place your plums in a heavy bottomed saucepan and gently cook them to a puree, add some water if the mixture starts to stick on to the bottom of the pan. If using plums with stones in, cook until flesh has cooked off the stones.
- Press the puree through a sieve.
- Measure the amount of sieved puree.
- For every 550ml of sieved puree add 400g of granulated sugar.
- Warm sugar and puree gently until sugar has dissolved.
- Then bring to rapid boil until setting point reached.
- Pour into prepared jars.