Basic salad dressing.
1 regular jam jar.
Olive oil ( I prefer an olive oil with a mild taste)
Balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar (or a mixture)
1 good tsp honey (I use honey form one of the many hives in Eynsham)
1 scant tsp mustard (I use Shaken Oak green peppercorn mustard)
Salt and pepper
Clove of garlic, crushed slightly under a knife
Sprig of thyme
- In the jam jar, fill to 3/4 with olive oil. then add the vinegar, leaving a 1.5cm gap from the rim.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Place on lid securely and shake, taste adjust seasoning if necessary, garlic and thyme will take time to infuse.
- Place in a cool dark place or fridge. You can use immediately but it benefits from a day or two to infuse. The dressing should keep will for a couple of weeks or more – the garlic and thyme will become more intense.
Lovely on green salads.
You can experiment :
- add a slice of orange zest for spinach leaf and watercress salad
- leave out the thyme and add some chopped parsley
- add a milder mustard instead of my suggested one
- add a piece of sundried tomato to the bottle
- etc etc, let me know what you add and I can add it to the suggestions above.