This delicious method of cooking rice found in many Lebanese restaurants. Because vermicelli is made from wheat, it does mean that the rice is not wheat / gluten free.
I think the best way to make this is as follows:
- Decide how much rice you are going to cook. Weigh this and then weigh out approx. 1/3 of the weight in vermicelli.
- Rinse rice well and drain.
- Break the vermicelli into roughly 5cm – 7cm pieces.
- Toast the vermicelli in a saucepan. It needs to become golden in colour.
- Melt some butter, enough to coat the rice grains. Lightly fry the rice grains add salt.
- Add water as you would normally and the toasted vermicelli.
- Continue to cook the rice to your normal method.