This is my mothers recipe and although it is a very “adult” recipe, I was brought up on it, my sister is bringing her children up on it, we have all become chocoholics!
It really needs to be made no more than 4 hours before eating. If made the day before it is just a bit heavier, still delicious!
Serves at least 4
150g slab good chocolate (I use Green and Blacks cooks chocolate)
6 eggs seperated (works best if eggs very fresh and at room temperature)
1 heaped tsp instant coffee
Vanilla essence ( a couple of drops if using pure)
1 tbs rum (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie with the rum or 1 tbs water, vanilla and coffee powder.
- Beat the egg yolks until they are pale and fluffy.
- When chocolate mixture cool, stir in beaten yolks.
- Whisk whites until peaky.
- Add some of the egg whites to the cocolate mixture, using a metal spoon and fold in carefully. Add remainder of whites and fold in.
- Either put in one bowl or individual serving dishes
Delicious served on it’s own, or you