Flapjack (crunchy or chewy or ginger or coconut)
125g soft brown sugar
125g golden syrup
200g rolled (quick cook) porridge oats
200g large oats
80g oatmeal (or coconut if making coconut flapjack)
1 tsp ground ginger (if making ginger flapjack)
- Preheat oven to 170 c / 325 f / gas 4
- Grease a tin 18cm by 28cm (7″ by 11″) for chewy flapjack or 23cm by 30cm (9″ by 12″) for crunchy flapjack
- In a saucepan melt the butter with the golden syrup and soft brown sugar.
- Combine all other ingredients, add melted butter mixture and stir together.
- Press the mixture into the baking tray. (If you wet your palms in cold water and press down this helps)
- Place in oven for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown on top . The longer you cook the mixture, the crunchier the flapjack will be.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Mark and cut into desired number of pieces whilst still warm.
- Store in an airtight tin once cold.
These keep well for at least a week.
Other things you can add: glace cherries, raisins, apricots, dried raspberries etc…..