Classic Sand Cake
so named for it’s very fine crumb texture
180g caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon or orange
125 g self raising flour
125 g cornflour
180 g butter, melted
Icing sugar to finish
- Preheat oven to 190 / 375 / gas 5
- Grease and line the bottom of a 1kg loaf tin
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, zest, salt and vanilla over a pan of simmering water until white and fluffy and warm.
- Remove from pan and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Sift flour and cornflour together and fold into mixture.
- Carefully fold melted butter into mixture.
- Pour mixture into lined tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
- When cool remove from tin.
- When cold cold with icing sugar.
This cake will keep for 5 days in a sealed tin. It also freezes well.
You can add a bit of peel to the mixture, fold in with the flour; or a tbs of rum, add with the butter.