Chocolate Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding
Serves 4 – 6
400g panettone (stale panettone is great, you could use bread, croissants, fruit loaf or brioche instead)
100g dark chocolate
50g butter (+ enough to butter the slices of bread if using)
250g fruit compote or stewed fruit or jam or marmalade (optional)
2 tbs sugar (+ 2 more if using bread)
- Melt the butter gently, remove from heat.
- Cube the chocolate and add to the melted butter, stir occasionally until melted.
- In a measuring jug beat the eggs and add the milk. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Slice the panettone (or other). Butter the slices if using bread and sprinkle 2 tbs of sugar on the bread.
- Place a layer of panettone on the bottom of an oven proof dish, 20cm square or similar.
- If using fruit compote or stewed fruit or jam, spread over panettone layer.
- Add the rest of the panettone, in layers.
- Carefully pour the milk/chocolate mixture over the panettone.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top.
- Leave to soak in for up to an hour (in a cool place).
- Preheat oven to 170 / 325 / gas3
- Place into a “bain marie”, in oven and bake for 40 minutes. It is cooked when you gently press the middle and the mixture has just set, is a bit wobbly.
Serve warm with creme fraiche, custard, cream, ice cream.
Additions: you can add a bit of alcohol or and some grated nutmeg to the milk and chocolate mixture.