Stilton and Celery Seed Cheese Straws
Makes about 30, depending on the length you cut them into.
175g grated Stilton
1 tbs celery seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard
250g plain flour
1 egg (large)
- Rub the flour and butter together, then add all the remaining ingredients apart from the egg. Mix well.
- Add the egg and bind together, this may take some time. The mixture wants to be firm. If it is not binding well, add a little water.
- Chill for a minimum of 2 hours (over night is fine)
- Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5
- Remove from fridge and divide into two. Roll out to about 1/2 to 3/4 cm. (I usually cut them into 1cm by 10cm lengths, but yo can cut them into any size or shape you fancy, crescents are quite nice!) If the mixture is too firm, allow to warm up a bit by leaving it at room temperature.
- Place on a floured baking tray, or on baking parchement.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. If yo like them really crunchy, leave them in a bit longer. You may need to turn the oven down if they are looking well coloured.
- They should be golden on the top and bottom.
Cheese straws keep will in an air tight tin for at least one week. They also freeze well. Once defrosted it is good to warm them through in the oven to crispen them up a bit.