Butternut Squash and Chicken Liver Risotto
325g butternut squash, peeled and diced into approx. 1cm dice
225g chicken liver, roughly chopped
1 onion finely diced
250g risotto rice
100ml white wine (optional – if not using add 100ml to stock)
1l – 1.3l chicken stock or water
Salt, pepper and nutmeg
Piece of Parmesan rind (optional)
6 sage leaves, chopped.
12 sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- Gently melt the butter in a thick bottomed saucepan.
- Add the diced onions and saute until translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the squash and rice and stir gently until all glazed with the onions and butter.
- Add the chicken livers and seasoning, again stir gently.
- Add wine if using, other wise 100ml of stock or water. Gently stir until all wine has been absorbed.
- Add the Parmesan rind if using (this will be removed at the end of cooking, it gives a depth of flavour to the risotto)
- Continue adding the stock or water gradually, stirring regularly. When the rice tastes cooked (just a hint of a crunch), the mixture should look a little too moist. Once this stage is reached switch off heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving, check and adjust seasoning if necessary. The rice should absorb a bit more liquid, making the riosotto look creamy, but not too moist.
- If you are using the sage leaves for a garnish, heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan and when hot, place the leaves in the pan, turn as soon as they become translucent, do not allow them to brown. Remove from pan and place on kitchen roll to drain. Serve on top of risotto.
Serve with a rocket, watercress and baby spinach salad.
You can add grated parmesan to this dish, stir it in at the end of cooking, however it does have plenty of flavour without any.