Pistachio and Rosewater Meringues
Makes 10 large or 20 – 30 small
150g egg whites
300g caster sugar
1 drop rosewater
1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
Baking parchment to line trays
- Warm the sugar in the oven to 90 degrees C. If you don’t have a thermometer, heat it until it is hot too touch, but not melting.
- Start to whisk the egg whites for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sugar gradually, whilst gently whisking the egg whites.
- Add the rosewater.
- Whisk vigorously for 5 minutes, until mixture is very thick and white.
- Fix the baking parchment to the trays by placing a bit of meringue mixture to bottom of paper in all four corners.
- Spoon the mixture onto lined trays, or pipe.
- Sprinkle pistachios on top.
- Place in the oven on the lowest setting you can.
- Large ones bake for 2 hours, check from time to time that they are not colouring. if they do start to colour, keep oven door open slightly, or if the meringue has set you can place some foil gently on top.
These meringues should be chewy inside.
You can experiment with the flavours, try orange zest and 1 tsp of ground cardamom.
The smaller ones take 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on size.