Apricot, Orange and Ginger Stuffing
Makes about 700g or 1 1/2lb
150g / 6 oz dried apricots – finely chopped
2 orange (zest and juice)
*100g / 4 oz bulgar wheat
280ml / 1/2 pint Chicken stock / veg stock or water
1 onion (finely diced)
Ginger about 2″ or 5 cm chunk, finely chopped
125g / 5oz butter
Parsley and a little rosemary
Salt and pepper
- Soak the apricots in the orange juice and zest overnight if poss or for at least 2 hours.
- Soak the bulgar wheat in the stock/water for 30 minutes. In the meantime gently fry the onion, ginger, rosemary and seasoning in the butter for around 10 minutes. Allow the onions to colour ever so slightly. Add the apricots and continue to cook gently.
- Taste the bulgar, it should not be crunchy. If it is still crunchy add more water and stock. Once it is no longer crunchy mix together with apricot mixture, add parsley, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- You can freeze once cold. It should keep unfrozen for about 5 days.
- To cook place uncovered in a medium oven for at least 30 minutes (depending on how thick it is).
*instead of bulgar wheat you can add breadcrumbs or oatmeal. If you are trying to avoid wheat and gluten add a little maize meal and an egg.