Beef Shin Osso Buco Style
(4 healthy eaters)
This recipe uses shin of beef, a cut which has a delicious flavour and is sadly not used much these days. Ask your butcher to prepare the cut for you.
4 slices of shin, bone in
plain flour to dust seasoned with salt and pepper
50 g butter
1 tbs olive or rape seed oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
16 shallots or 2 onions cut into large dice
2 carrots diced into 2cm cubes
2 sticks celery cut into 2cm pieces
1 glass red wine
1 tablespoon tomato purée
good sprig of thyme and 2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbs chopped parsley
- Dust the shin in flour. Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan and brown the shin on both sides.
- Decant to a casserole dish with lid (if cooking in the oven, and preheat oven to 130 C, gas mark 1), or place in a thick bottomed saucepan (if cooking on top of stove).
- In the saucepan add garlic, onion and lightly sauté for 2-3 mins, add carrot and celery and sauté for an additional 2 mins.
- Add wine, 300ml water, tomato puree and herbs. Season to taste and pour over shin.
- Cook very slowly for 2 hours either in the oven or on the hob. Add the lemon zest and parsley, check seasoning just before serving.
Lovely with boiled mash or rice.