Ukrainian style cucumber salad
Plenty for 6 – 8 depending on size of cucumber
2 medium sized cucumbers
1 tsp salt
3 tbs fresh chopped dill
1 tbs white wine vinegar
150ml crème fraiche
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumber if you like. If you do peel the cucumber you can run a fork down the sides to make it look good when sliced, if you don’t peel you can use a channeling knife to decorate the cucumber (pulls off strips of skin).
- Slice the cucumber as thinly as possible (use a mandolin if you have one)
- Sprinkle with the salt and leave for 1 hour in a colander.
- Whilst salting, make the dressing by combining the chopped dill, white wine vinegar, crème fraiche and seasoning.
- Rinse the cucumber gently and pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Combine with the dressing and leave to marinade for at least one hour.
Remove from fridge an hour before serving.
This salad keeps for 3 days in the fridge.