Broad bean salad
Plenty for 4 good servings.
375g of frozen broad beans or 300g fresh shelled broad beans
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs light olive oil
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
2 – 3 tbs chopped fresh parsley
Salt to taste
Depending on how much time I have I peel the individual beans (whether they are fresh or frozen, unless your fresh beans are really small and tender). Peeled or unpeeled, the salad is delicious – undoubtedly the peeled ones are sweeter!
- Bring a pan of water to the boil – do not add salt unless you have peeled the broad beans.
- Add the beans to the boiling water (no need to defrost frozen beans)
- As soon as the water returns to the boil, drain the beans.
- Transfer immediately to a bowl and add the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Stir gently from time to time until cool.
- Stir in the herbs and add salt to taste.
This salad is best served at room temperature.
It will keep for 3 days in the fridge.