Courgette and halloumi salad
Enough for 4 or 8, depending on how many other salads you are serving
4 courgettes cut into 1 cm slices at an angle
1 teaspoon lemon juice/2 teaspoons olive oil
200 g Halloumi, 2cm slices
1 tablespoon sunflower or rape seed oil
350g cherry tomatoes – cut in ½’s or ¼’s
25 g rocket – roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
75ml olive oil
25g basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1 – 2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Place the courgette slices into a pan of boiling and salted water for 2 minutes, drain and toss in the lemon juice and olive oil whilst warm.
- Grill or fry the halloumi in the sunflower oil.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and rocket, season.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small blender (or chop the garlic and basil, place in jar with olive oil and seasoning – shake).
- Drizzle dressing on the salad and serve at room temperature.
You can top this with roasted pine nuts or chopped roasted hazelnuts.
This salad is best eaten soon after making, if chilled the halloumi goes hard and chewy.