Stewed rhubarb with ginger.
This is enough for 6 – 8 people
500g rhubarb (trimmed)
10 – 30g ginger
Zest of 1/2 an orange, juice of 1 or 2 oranges, made up to 300ml with water
2 – 3 tbs soft brown sugar
Grated nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp)
- Cut the rhubarb into 5cm pieces.
- Cut the ginger into very thin matchsticks.
- Place the orange juice (and water), with the zest and ginger into a saucepan, bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, stir in, add nutmeg and add rhubarb.
- Cover pan with lid, shake from time to time. Depending on the rhubarb it will take 3 – 10 minutes to stew. As soon as the rhubarb looks as if it is loosing it’s shape, take off heat, leaving lid on until cool
This can be served warm, frozen or put into a crumble.